International and National studies state that more than a quarter of all adults experience depression, anxiety or another mental health illness in any given year. Others can need help coping with a serious illness, relationship problems, losing a job, bereavement, being bullied or discriminated against, distressed, suicidal, loss of meaning, feeling empty, searching for a purpose in life or even just trouble with sleeping. These are daily stressors and sometimes these issues can become debilitating.
Psychotherapy can help you work through these issues and help adults of all ages including older men and women and adults from different cultures and backgrounds work through their problems and to live less dysfunctional, happier, healthier and more productive lives.
What is Psychotherapy
It is a collaborative treatment with open dialogue in a supportive, non-judgmental environment. We work together to improve your quality of life and your relationship with yourself and with others
Many people can feel depressed, have low self-esteem and feel anxious or angry over a long period and enter into therapy needing help to make sense of this and to navigate through these issues in order to understand and improve their emotional and physical well-being.
Issues that Therapy helps and I have wide experience in:
- Anxiety, stress, social anxiety, perinatal anxiety
- Loss, grief, separation, distress
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Sadness, depression, postnatal depression
- Family issues, conflict, dysfunctional relationships, alienation
- Interpersonal problems, self destructive problems, self harm
- Low self-esteem, loss of direction in life, loneliness
- Chronic illness, terminal illness
- Personality issues
- Emotional and Domestic Violence
- Feeling trapped by your past or childhood trauma
- Abortion and miscarriage
- Relationship difficulties for both heterosexual and same-sex relationships
- Work-related stress, discrimination, burn out, bullying and harassment
- Mental distress in men
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Displacement, Expatriation, Repatriation
- Intercultural issues and Cultural Unease
What Benefits can be Expected?
If you are experiencing any of the above and a prolonged sense of helplessness and hopelessness and problems that don't get better, a sense of being overwhelmed. These feelings can become debilitating and can manifest as a crisis and cause much distress, suicidal thoughts and feelings and affect daily life.
Research shows that Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy is a very effective treatment for both mild and complex issues and mental health problems.
Engaging with the process of Psychotherapy and with your Therapist can bring relief, reduce confusion, identify changes that can be made. Therapy helps to turn your dysfunctional thoughts and actions through non-judgmental understanding into something much more creative so you are no longer governed by them.
Your Therapist is your fellow traveller in your life's journey and helps to bring to the surface awareness about unconscious elements in your life and patterns that can be hidden away.
Psychotherapy and Counselling help us to understand on a deeper level of complexities, distress and disruptions in relationships.
One of the aims of the process is to develop your own sense of self and to make freer choices and develop confidence in your own unique talents and abilities.